Here is a short list with the most important tips that anyone should consider when their computers are connected to the Internet.
- install antivirus software
- use a firewall
- download security patches for your application programs
- use different passwords for your accounts and change them periodically
- delete spam messages and don’t open attachments without knowing if the source is trustful or not
- do not download free games, freeware or other application unless you are certain they are harmless
- protect your wireless and wired network
- backup your computer
- password protect important files
- don’t publish personal information over the Internet
Did I forget an important tip? Let me know and I will add it to the list.